Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My basset hound is 16 years old has trouble with his hip bee

Customer Question
n on pain medicine. But...
My basset hound is 16 years old has trouble with his hip bee n on pain medicine. But now he has stopped eating but still water.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.How long has it been since she has eaten?Any vomiting?What medication is she on?When was the last time she had routine bloodwork ran?Does she seem painful in the abdomen when you press into it from both sides?What color are her gums?

2 days with out food no vomiting 6 months for blood work sides do not hurt and has pink gums.

Thanks. What about the medication he has been on? What is the name of it and is he still taking it?Any abnormalities on bloodwork from 6 months ago?

Meta cam 7.5 mig.every 24 hrs. G ultra mega hip and joint gnome brand still takes it.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that the medication may be causing her to be inappetant. Any type of anti-inflammatory can cause that. My concern at this point, though, is that something more serious is going on. It could be cancer, liver problems, pancreatitis or even kidney problems. You can try and stop the Metacam to see if that helps (assuming you haven't already). But if you are going on 3 days without eating, that is usually a sign that an exam by your vet and potentially some blood work is needed. You can try feeding some boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice, carrots, apples (no seeds), celery, low fat cottage cheese or just low sodium chicken broth to see if he will eat any of that, but I would only try it one. If not eating that one time, he definitely needs an exam and blood work. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian