Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My terrier has eaten a spiriva 18mg pill will she be ok

Customer Question

my terrier has eaten a spiriva 18mg pill will she be ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How long after she had it was she vomiting?

Can she keep anything down? Water?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im dont know im guessing yesterday i just found the empty pill on the floor she started getting sick yesterday and when we got up this moring we founf the vomit in the hall and living room i havent send her drink anything and she weigh about 23 lbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you their
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I certainly am and am typing my reply.

I will post shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type about this situation).

If so much time has passed already, then we are at a point where she will have absorbed this drug and we'd not be able to block that. This means we need to treat her symptomatically to get her through the drug's effects.

Now since you suspect she had this yesterday, we'd hope that we are seeing peak effects here and that the signs will lessen as opposed to worsen with time. With that in mind, since she is nauseous, we can take some steps to see if we can soothe her stomach. To start, you can put her on an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, this isn't a drug we use in dogs and therefore there are no known safety doses. From the research prior to the drug' release, we do know that it can cause agitation and GI upset. So, her signs are not unexpected here. Still at this stage, we want to use the above to soothe her stomach over the next 48 hours. If you do so and she settles, we are happy. If she doesn't or is just too nauseous for the above, then we'd want to get her seen by her local vet. They can treat by injection to settle her stomach +/- give her IV fluids to flush this drug out faster. And if there is any suspicion or organ harm from this, they can test a blood sample to assess that for her and treat as needed to limit that and get her through this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammie. How is everything going?
nekovet