How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20923
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 year old bordercollie/ Spanial mix just had s routine

Customer Question

My 3 year old bordercollie/ Spanial mix just had his routine annual checkup and my vet told me that his anaplasma test came out positive again . He was tested positive last year too and went through the whole treatment and then another test was taken ( pcr) which was normal ) . We had to spend lot of money for the whole treatment and it seems we are heading the sandgrouse once again which will make our financial situation in a huge mess . What should I do now .... Go through the pcr ? Or wait .... Please help .
Appreciate your time
Rajashree Menon
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you with Willie today.

Now in this case, the best next step here is to have this result confirmed by PCR. The in-house tests are very good first line tests but they detect antibody (this is what our immune cells make in reaction to infectious agent). And sometimes our antibodies can be long lasting and present even after we have cured the infection (as they are the body's way of being ready if there is risk of future infection).

Therefore, in a case like this and before starting treatment, we would be better to use that more sensitive PCR test. This is because PCR detects the Anaplasma's genetic material and that cannot be there unless the organism is there. So, if we have any doubt (or have dog like Willie who has been infected before), we'd always be best use this test to look for this component of the Anaplasma instead of testing to see if he has antibodies (since those are expected if he had an infection). So, that would be ideal now before we start treating (since PCR negative results would mean we don't need to) and may be a better option in the future with him to get a clear diagnose of whether its present or whether he just has antibodies to it.

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rajashree,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Willie. How is everything going?