Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a Yorkist pom 6 yrs old has had a stroke she still

Customer Question

I have a Yorkist pom 6 yrs old has had a stroke she still continues to have mini seizures .Can she be cured or is it more humane to put her to sleep? She still gets up to go outside but can't seem to get her to eat or drink anymore
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Once a dog starts having seizures, they are typically lifelong. If they are occurring more than once per month, I would start her on an anti-seizure medication. Phenobarbital is the most commonly used and the most effective. It won't stop them all together, but it'll limit the frequency and severity of the seizures. I would talk with your vet about starting this medication. It's pretty inexpensive and it should help get this under control.

In the rare instance that we get a 2 year period that is seizure free, I will then start to slowly wean off Phenobarb and see if the seizures come back. Occasionally we're able to stop the medication in some stroke or head trauma induced seizure dogs. In true epileptics, it's uncommon to ever stop Phenobarb once it's started.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?