Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yorkie has a strange bump under s neck. It doesn't

Customer Question
My yorkie has a strange...
My yorkie has a strange bump under his neck. It doesn't seem to be itchy or bothering him in anyway. It almost looks like a blister but is kinda hard to the touch. There doesn't seem to be any liquid in it. What could this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the photo, we do have a few concerns for Bentley's bump. As he is young, we'd be less concerned about a nasty cancers but we can see this type of appearance with cysts, benign growths, soft tissue swelling, abscesses (a risk if that healing scab was a bacterial point of entry), and insect sting induced allergic reactions.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance or a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if Bentley has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this for him. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then we'd need to think about those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). If he is due a booster soon, you could move that appointment up to have this checked at the same time. This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is most likely and these can be drained or removed for cosmetic purposes. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns for Bentley's bump. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a possibility he got stung by something. However I want to say that numb has been there for about a week. Is that still a possibility? If not how urgent is the Drs appointment? Do I need to take off work to take him there today? Or is whatever time they have later in the week ok?

Hi again,

If it has been a week since a sting, then a sting allergic reaction is less likely. That said, we can see residual lumps or secondary infections from stings and those could appear longer. So, we can try the above for him just now. And as long as its not getting bigger before our eyes, causing any discomfort, or again leaking discharge; then we are fine to plan to have him seen later in the week and don't have to rush him into today.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The earliest my bet could get him in was Monday. Do you think I should try another vet sooner? This lump has me very concerned. I can't seem to find any imagine on the internet that looks like his. So I am worried this is something he needs treatment for sooner rather than later. There is no pus and it doesn't seem to hurt or bother him. I am trying the warm compress tonight. Does this look like it could be a bite?

Hello again,

The lump itself on the skin level only looks like thickened skin, so you aren't likely to find something similar to assume this is. As well, that appearance doesn't rule in a bite nor rule it out. So we can treat for that just in case. Otherwise, Monday should be just fine as long as it doesn't look like its getting bigger. Still, for your peace of mind and so you don't have to fret until next week, you may want to see if an alternative local vet can see him sooner. That way even thought cancer isn't likely with a dog this age, we can still get to the root cause and address it for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian