Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I believe my cat swallowed a piece of a broken hard plastic

Customer Question
Customer: ***** ***** and I...
Customer: ***** ***** and I believe my cat swallowed a piece of a broken hard plastic spoon.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is being treated for toxoplasmosis and isn't eating so I was "feeding him" with a plastic spoon. I used a more flexible spoon the other day so when he bit it no problem bu this time I used a harder spoon so he bit it and cracked it and then chewed and swalled a piece. I tried to get it out of his mouth but couldn't. He seems fine so he must have swallowed it but will it rip up his insides??? He is already sick.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He is being treated for toxoplasmosis and isn't eating so I was "feeding him" with a plastic spoon. I used a more flexiblespoon the other day so when he bit it no problem bu this time I used a harder spoon so he bit it and cracked it and then chewed and swalled a piece. I tried to get it out of his mouth but couldn't. He seems fine so he must have swallowed it but will it rip up his insides??? He is already sick.
1/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he potentially eat this?

How big was the peace? Did it look to have jagged edges (you can check the remaining bit of spoon to assess that)?

When you say he is already sick, do you mean he is vomiting since eating this? Or unwell from the Toxoplasma?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any black stool?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian