Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Looking solution to my 6 month old puppies diarrhea. We have

Customer Question

Looking for a solution to my 6 month old puppies diarrhea. We have mylanta and Imodium. Can I give her either of those? She is showing no signs of dehydration or illness
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Bella is not feeling well. I would not advise administering either of those products. Imodium can cause illness to certain breeds but also some dogs in particular can have a reaction to this product so it is not advised. And mylanta unfortunately is not very effective in pets.

Tonight you can:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days
- Bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken which is bland yet bulking to the stools
- Canned pumpkin can also aid in bulking up the stools, 1 tbsp every 12 hours

If there is no improvement I would advise a veterinary fecal evaluation to rule out an underlying cause that requires treatment such as worms, giardia, isospora infection that can be easily remedied with antibiotic therapy or dewormer

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour tonight to assist you both

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Bella to see how she is doing today? Is the diarrhea decreasing? I would love an update when you are able!