Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Five year old dachshund, 20 lbs, just ate a 1 inch by I inch

Customer Question
piece of chocolate. should...
Five year old dachshund, 20 lbs, just ate a 1 inch by I inch piece of chocolate. should I expect her to be sick? should in give her something to eat?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What kind of chocolate was this?

What was the source of the chocolate?

How long ago was this ingestion?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
semi sweet fudge....the fudge was mainly sugar, evap. milk and choc, pieces the time she took the fudge from the napkin on the coffee table was about an hour and a half ago, no signs of discomfort. what should I be watching for?thanks, eva

Thanks for the information. In general, there is more of a concern with the toxicity in fudge compared to milk chocolate. A lot depends on how it is made. The more cocoa that it is made with, the more toxic it can be. I am not sure how many ounces a 1 in x 1 in piece would entail (that can also vary), but if it isn't more than 3 ounces, I wouldn't be too concerned. It is always necessary to monitor for signs of chocolate toxicity for at least 36 hours. If you notice any vomiting, bloody stool, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, restlessness, increased anxiety or tremors; then I would recommend seeking immediate veterinary attention. After 36 hours, if you haven't see any signs, then you most likely won't. It is possible that kidney problems can occur 3 days after eating chocolate, but you would most likely see some of the other symptoms of toxicity listed above. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian