Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My name is ***** ***** and I believe that my dog has

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** and I believe that my dog has meningitis.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: One of my Maltese cross dogs died 6 months ago from suspected meningitis. It progressed very rapidly and she died in just under a week after her first symptom. Her mother is now displaying the same symptoms which is also progressing rapidly. I spoke to the emergency vet last night who believes it to be a genetic meningitis, but after looking up the symptoms it seems to fit bacterial meningitis, but this is very rare so the likely hood of two related dogs getting it in 6 months is extremely unlikely. I notice that Bella started yelping from neck pain yesterday she has become lethargic, stiff in her movements, seems confused, panting and is trembling.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is she? Does she have a fever?

Meningitis symptoms would be similar whatever the cause: viral or bacterial meningitis, fungal meningitis, or a genetic form of meningitis. The only way to tell would be a spinal tap, to exam CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) under the microscope to look for bacteria, fungi, or the presence of white blood cells. Is she being treated with antibiotics, steroids?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing? I hope you were able to see my answer. Can I help with anything else?