Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My understanding that Benadryl can affect adrenal glands in

Customer Question

Customer: my understanding that Benadryl can affect adrenal glands in dogs. could it possibly affect blood test leaning toward crushing's?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: dog has perfect blood work except for one, that vet said could possibly suggest crushing. she has no physical issues suggesting cushing's. I have had her on Benadryl for a while 1 a day for at least a couple of months.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

According to Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods, Willard, et. al., 2012, only anticonvulsives and exogenous glucocorticoids (prednisone given by owner, e.g.) need to be considered when using the low-dose dexamthasone suppression test - the test of choice for confirming the presence of Cushing's. Simply stated, unless my patient is eating me out of house and home and drinking like a fish, she's not cushingoid. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has not had the test yet, only the blood work. I was wondering if it would affect the blood work adversely if she has been getting the Benadryl daily? I cannot get a copy of the blood work until Monday.

No, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is neither a glucocorticoid nor anticonvulsant and so won't interfere with testing. I wouldn't want you to pursue testing, however, if you're not seeing symptoms of Cushing's. No worries about the test results. You're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a copy of the blood work to you.

I appreciate it! I'll watch for your next post.