Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has cataract and I read several articles on line

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has cataract...
Hi, my dog has cataract and I read several articles on line about eye drops, what do you think is the best product out there or which ingredients I should make sure the product has? Thank you :)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your dog has cataracts.

I would dearly love to be able to tell you that these eyedrops promoted on the internet for this particular canine condition are an effective treatment for this condition but, unfortunately, they just don't work. There are many claims made by the manufacturers of these products and from what I understand, they're quite expensive but there is no published evidence at all that supports the claims made.
Unfortuantely, the only effective treatment would be cataract surgery.

I researched a veterinary-based database which includes board certified ophthalmologists to determine if a new drug has been developed or become available but the information as I've provided above is still the case.

If your dog is a diabetic, there is a new eye drop (Kinostat) that if given to these patients BEFORE any sign of cataract formation develops; there is a good chance that this drug will prevent the formation of ONLY the diabetic cataract. However, it doesn't work if the cataract is already present and it doesn't work if the dog isn't a diabetic.

I wish it were only that simple....that application of topical medication would resolve cataracts in my canine patients but it's not that simple, unfortunately.

My advice would be not to waste your money although it gives me no pleasure to say so.

I hope this helps although I'm sorry that my response couldn't be a more positive one. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian