Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our Sheltie has had very loose bowl movements past 2 days

Customer Question
Hi, Our Sheltie has had very...
Our Sheltie has had very loose bowl movements for the past 2 days and is going bathroom more then normal. His nose is also very wet and has started to drip.
We have given him cheese to try and harden his stools but it doesn't seem to be working. Do you think I should take him to a vet?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I'm Dr. B and would like to help you today.

Now regular cheese won't help diarrhea nor firm stool. So that isn't going to be of benefit here. If anything, try him on a light diet of rice and boiled chicken or cottage cheese. These won't firm stool but are easier to absorb and this will reduce diarrhea. As well you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran as fiber will bulk up his stool.

As well, you can also give him a few millilitres of Kaolin/kaopectate. This is OTC at most pharmacies and can slow diarrhea for dogs. As well there are dog Kaolin/ probiotic pastes that you can also use for him. These are OTC at vets and pet stores. So these could be used here as well.

Overall cheese won't firm stool or stop diarrhea. Instead, the above would be our ideal home care. Of course if you use the above and he doesn't settle, then a check up would be ideal to pinpont the cause and get that treated for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rex. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian