Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a 2 year old male boxer. He has had two incidences in

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old male boxer. He has had two incidences in the last two months where after heavily exerting himself at the dog park he gets very dizzy and collapses. The last time it happpened he had snoring respirationS and quit breathing for about 10 seconds. 5 minutes after the incident he is fine and walking around.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. The first thing that comes to mind is Syncope. Syncope is where the heart is having trouble getting enough oxygen to the brain which causes fainting. It would be more like to happen when he was exerting himself and it is also common in his breed.

You can read more about it here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_syncope#

So he needs to have a good veterinary exam including heart x-rays, possible heart ultrasound, and blood work to rule out a metabolic issue. Because there are a number of causes it is important to determine the cause before any kind of treatment plan is made.

Until he sees a vet I would not take him to the dog park or let him exert himself.

He could also be having mil seizures but when they seizure they act "out of it" right before it happens and are "out of it after it happens." There are not back to playing 5 minutes later.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I listened to his heart with my stethoscope and his a rate is around 100 but is very irregular
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so he needs a cardiac work up with an ecg, chest x-rays, and ultrasound. We would not diagnose any particular condition based on an irregular heart beat. Just call it an arythmia for now.