Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a small amount of blood in colon area, seems from

Customer Question
constipation. What can I do?...
My dog has a small amount of blood in colon area, seems from constipation. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions,

though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he straining to defecate with very little to no stool coming out?

Any vomiting?

Any change in appetite?

What color are his gums?

Gums are normal, no chaneed in appetite, no vomiting. Yes he is straining some and chewing and licks the area.

Thanks for the information. In all likelihood, he has some inflammation in the colon, called colitis. It is very common to see a small amount of blood in the stool from this. They feel like they have to defecate often but usually don't have much in their colon. Usually this is a dietary problem, but can be due to intestinal parasites, stress, irritable bowel syndrome, masses in the colon, liver problems and pancreatic problems. It often looks worse than it really is. It is possible it could be an anal gland issue as well, so look for any swellings to the side of his anus. It may resolve with adding some fiber to the diet. Usually a teaspoon of Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to each meal. If it is not improving by tomorrow, he starts vomiting, the stool is more than 50% blood, his gums are pale, he stops eating or he develops abdominal pain; he needs to be evaluated by a vet ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Anastacia Cortez. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian