Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

MY CHIWAWA IS SICK AND CONGESTED WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT

Customer Question
I CAN GIVE HIM AT...
MY CHIWAWA IS SICK AND CONGESTED WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT I CAN GIVE HIM AT HOME THERS NO MONEY FOR THE VET
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

By sick, do you mean she is unwell or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any breathing changes, coughing or sneezing?

Any nasal discharge? If so, what color?

gums are pink and wet and yes there isw nasel discharge and its a yellow brown and is not vomiting

Thank you,

Now if the nasal discharge is yellow, then we have a serious issue here. This is because that is a sign of bacterial infection and an indication for antibiotics. Unfortunately, antibiotics are prescription only and can only be legally dispensed by a vet that has examined her in person. Therefore, since you noted that funds are a concern, I do want to mention some help that is out there. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Otherwise, we need to start your lad on supportive care. To start, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.

Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.

Finally, we do find that Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is a mild decongestant. Therefore, you can try this at a low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of his body weight) twice daily. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if he has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication.

Overall, the bacterial discoloured discharge does make your situation a real challenge. We'd want to use all the above supportive care here but we'd need to consider a visit with one of those above low cost options to at least get antibiotics and give him the best chance of recovery here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian