Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 13 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback cannot walk on her nd

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My 13 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback cannot walk on her hind legs and her front legs are weak and following suit. She has a urinary tract infection which is being treated. Her standard blood test produced normal results otherwise. She also coughs after drinking water. And, i notice that at times her paws are curled.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not much more to give at this point
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Ridgeback. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is she eating, and drinking? Is she completely unable to get up at all?

Can she move her legs at all, or are the legs paralyzed? If you pinch one of her toes, does she move the leg? Does she act like she knows you are pinching a toe?

I am worried this could be a bulging disc in her neck or her back or something affecting her spinal cord. If that is the case, this is an emergency and she needs to be treated as soon as possible. Sometimes a urinary infection can get into the spinal cord, causing "discospondylitits", which could also affect her spinal cord.

Let me know what other questions you have, and if there is an emergency clinic open today near you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she today? I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know how she is doing and if you have any more questions. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?