Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Dobberman/terrier mix about 60pounds. Has a stiff

Customer Question

My dog Dobberman/terrier mix about 60pounds. Has a stiff rear leg (left rear leg) after laying down a while . I like to take her on my runs but u worry about making things worse. I don't have a lot of money for vet bills
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What joint pills are you using?

What dose and how much does Paris weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 60 pounds. Glucosamine 500 mg 2 tablets a day. After she gets up and walks for a few minutes she seems to be back to normal. She can still run around and play
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if Paris weighs 60lbs, then her basic dose of Glucosamine should be 1800mg. So, you could increase that for her. Otherwise, we'd want to consider using some other supplements besides this. Specifically, you can give chondroitin at a dose of 50mg per 10 pounds of body weight daily. Brand-wise, we usually use both of these in combination in products like Seraquin, Flexivet, or Cosequin.

As well, we find Omega 3 fish oils to be of benefit with joint stiffness as it is a natural anti-inflammatory For this one, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could use with her. Also Duralactin is a very good OTC product that combines some of these with the newer Mirolactin joint support. You can read more about that HERE.

Otherwise, I do want to note that exercise on flat even surfaces or swimming can be of benefit for helping Paris maintain muscle tone. And that is very important as they will support her compromised joints. So, those would be fine to use in moderation for her.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** to speak to her vet about, there are injectable joint supports (ie Cartrophen, Adequan) and even dog friendly anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) . So, these too would be potential options to consider in helping her remain mobile.

Overall, it will be a case of finding what works best for Paris, but the above would be our avenues to focus on in helping to keep her comfortable and moving well.

All the best for Paris,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)