Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had an abrasion on her ear month or so and it has

Customer Question
my dog has had an...
my dog has had an abrasion on her ear for a month or so and it has become infected, i believe. the ear itself feels as if it has a elongated balloon in it. what can I do to ease the swelling? i am afraid it is an abcess
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did the wound break the skin? Does the abrasion have an odor or pus from it?

Are you seeing the swelling on the ear flap itself? Is the swelling under the abrasion?

Has she been shaking her head?

Is the lump uncomfortable for her ?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

the wound has broken the skin, i believe she caused the wound by scratching.
there is no noticeable odor nor is it weepy, just glistening.
the swelling is n the ear flap, not under abrasion.
she has been shaking her head.
she does not appear to be in very much discomfort. I have cleaned the abrasion with a warm washcloth and have gently put pressure on the "swelling"
in the pics i am putting pressure on the swelling, it is about 1 inch x 1 1/2 inch x 3 inches long, also there is A&D ointment on it in picture

Thank you,

Now the wound doesn't look ideal (especially if it has been lingering for a month), but the swelling is more suggestive of a ear hematoma secondary to her shaking her head. This is very common when dogs have ear irritating issues and is due to the capillaries within the ear rupturing to cause the swelling. In regards ***** ***** these, we can warm compress them to encourage the body to resorb the blood (though be aware that can lead to crinkling of the ear as it settles) or we can have her vet lance/drain the ear and then tack down the skin to prevent recurrence or wrinkling of the ear.

And for her, I would lean towards having her vet drain this since it is quite marked. Furthermore and more importantly, we'd want them to start her on systemic/oral antibiotics to see if we can get this lesion on her ear healing since if it were able to on its own it would have done so weeks ago.

Overall, this doesn't look like an abscess and instead is highly suspicious of an ear hematoma for Payton. Therefore, we can compress it but it'd be best drained and we'd really want her on antibiotics for the unhealing sore here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

thank you, ***** ***** making an appointment n the morning

You are very welcome.

All the best for Payton,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Payton. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian