Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog that is just under 2 and is a beagle/border collie

Customer Question

My dog that is just under 2 and is a beagle/border collie (or beagle/spaniel) mix got his leg caught in his kennel and after he got out his hip I'm told was out of place but a half hour later it went back down and he walked & ran fine after that for 2 days. I noticed last night when I saw him running he kind of hops when he runs now. His vet has been closed all week for the holiday. I'm not sure what I can do for him? Overall he doesn't seem to be in any pain, he's putting pressure on it and when he sleeps that's the side he sleeps on and he still is.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Miggy's situation. That is good that he's not overall seeming to be in pain. It is also good that he's putting weight on that leg. Is this current injury tied into what happened there two days ago? Could he have injured it a second time? Those are the considerations. As far as what you can do at home till you can get him to your vet's office, the best is to let him rest, rest, rest. The more he can rest over the next 3 to 4 days, hopefully the better. IF he has just tweaked something, bruised something - then this rest will let that injured tissue hopefully have the time to heal itself. Other than rest, there really isn't anything more specific you can do. You're doing a great job on use of the kennel and trying to limit what physical activity he's able to do.