Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Fireworks tonight dogs terrified is zopiclone drug safe dogs

Customer Question

Customer: fireworks tonight dogs terrified is zopiclone drug safe for 6kgs dogs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 12year old plus 10yr old maltese cross female dog very stressed out firewoks will start in 30 mins time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to say (but want to prevent you from causing your lass harm and having to rush her to the ER tonight) but this is not safe to give her. This isn't a drug we use in dogs and even at low doses can cause some serious toxicity signs. This includes wobbliness, weakness, lethargy, disorientation, GI upset, crying, tremors, and in some dogs it can even make them hyperactive. So, we cannot use this for her in this situation.

Instead, since she is a very stressed dog, you would be best to ring her local vet or ER vet. They can provide a safe alternative. Otherwise, there are OTC supportive treatments (if your vet or pet stores are open just now) like Kalmaid, Adaptil, Zylkene, and Composure that could help reduce her stress and get her through tonight. Furthermore, whichever of these options you take, do try to keep her in an internal room (with no outside walls). If you don't have one, then make sure the curtains are closed and you have some noise (ie radio, TV, etc) to lessen her exposure to the fireworks and reduce her stress. You can even let her have access to a dog crate covered with thick blankets to reduce the noise or a closet where she can curl up and feel secure.

So, those would be safer options here and we'd need to avoid the Zopiclone for her to prevent any harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all theinformation you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )