Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog cried out this am when he was being scratched behind

Customer Question
his ears. He later refused...
My dog cried out this am when he was being scratched behind his ears. He later refused to go up or down stairs and crystal out when I attempt to help him. He ate his dinner, but is slow to take treats or refuses them. He exhibits shivering and is reluctant to move around. He does occasionally move around on the level and intermittently wags his tail. I don'the know what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he has a painful back or neck. This is commonly caused by a bulging disc or disc herniation in the back. The common signs we see with these dogs are: pain, yelping when picking up, difficulty with stairs and reluctance to jump up. In severe cases, we can see paralysis of the rear legs. It doesn't sound like your dog is anywhere near the paralysis type.

The dogs that are just painful will typically do well with an anti-inflammatory med (Rimadyl) and something for pain (Gabapentin or Tramadol). These are meds that you would need to see a vet for and have prescribed. Medication, along with exercise restriction for 1-2 weeks, should get him back to normal relatively quickly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian