Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My vet said my dog has a staff infection. He's 5 years old

Customer Question

My vet said my bull dog has a staff infection. He's 5 years old and never had any skin issues. He's a very healthy dog. What exactly is a staff infection and how did he get it? How is it treated? My breeder wanted me to shave area and treat with listerine topically and ask for an antibiotic. We saw our vet and he cleaned area and prescribed simplicef once daily for 14 days and also prednisolone 2 x daily for 7 days and then 2 x every other day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, Staphylococcus aureus is the name of the bacteria that is causing the infection in Buster. We shorten it and just say "Staph." Dogs normally have staph on their skin and it doesn't cause any problems. When there is disruption to the skin by any internal or external factors like: Hormonal disorders, allergies, temperature changes, etc. it can disrupt the skin and cause the staph to grow. Sometimes, we don't know why the infection occurs. I would recommend you continue on the plan your vet has established, do not apply listerine to the affected area.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!