Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

One of my rescue Shih Tzus (age 8) has had ongoing eye (and

Customer Question

One of my rescue Shih Tzus (age 8) has had ongoing eye (and ear) issues. She has been diagnosed with dry eye and has been given several different prescriptions that not only have not worked but have made her eyes more runny and crusty. The vet told me that she will be blind and that is probably almost completely blind in one eye. Since she is already completely deaf, I would like to be able to save her remaining eye.
We live in a rather rural area and have no access to specialists.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog's problem with dry eye. This can be a very frustrating disease to deal with for dogs, owners, and vets. Many cases do not respond well to medical treatment. I am attaching an article here for you on the disease which lists the different types of medication that are used to treat KCS. Has your dog tried all of these medications already? How long of a course of the medications has he been on?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1326

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been on antibiotics and several other things on and off since I rescued her 4 years ago. Her eyes become very red from every product prescribed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry this took so long to respond to. I was unable to access your original response to me.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

IS she on any medications right now?

Do you have any idea of the names of the medications (besides antibiotics) she has been on?

Cyclosporine? Tacrolimus? Mucomyst? If you can give me any idea of the products that have been tried and length of time they were tried, and if the tear production was remeasured after using them?