Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua has her vagina red and purple
, she has

Customer Question
Customer: My chihuahua has her...
Customer: My chihuahua has her vagina red and purple
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has been licking it constantly, my son just called me and said that she is lying down and her vagina is swollen red and purple color
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Can you tell me how long this issue has been going on for? Is your dog spayed? Is she otherwise acting normally?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is not spayed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She act normal otherwise

And how old is she? Has she come into heat before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is 8 months

Does she have any discharge coming from her vagina?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, no discharge

Ok. So there are a few possibilities here. It is possible that she is coming into her first heat cycle. She is old enough for this to be a possibility. When a dog goes into heat we can see the vulva swell and become darker or reddish in color. We do often see discharge coming form the vagina, but in a small dog the amount of discharge may be small and she may be licking it away if she is licking at the area.

Another possibility is that she could have a case of vaginitis or a perivulvar dermatitis. With these conditions, we can see an infection of the vagina or an infection of the skin folds around the vagina. These conditions are usually treated with antibiotics.

Without examining your dog, it is impossible for me to give you a diagnosis. I would recommend contacting your vet tomorrow for an exam for them to examine the vagina and the folds of skin and see if an infection is present, or if she is simply coming into heat.

In the meantime (until you are able to get her in to the vet) I would try to stop her from licking at the vaginal area as it is going to cause more irritation. You can do this by using an e-collar (this is the lampshade collar dogs wear after surgery- you can usually get htem at the pet store) or putting some little shorts/undies on her).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Hello, just checking to be sure you got my answer. I am getting ready to head out for the night but don't want to sign off if you had any more questions?

Hello, this is Dr. Jess.I am just checking on your dog, whether or not her issue has continued and if you got my information? Please respond so I can know if your question needs any more attention! Thank you.

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian