Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a temp of 102.8. He just had surgery intestinal

Customer Question

My dog has a temp of 102.8. He just had surgery for an intestinal blockage about 5 days ago. He's eating and drinking and seeing and pooping but he won't get up on his own or lay down on his own, we have to help him both ways. He walks around when he is up although slowly. I called my vet and she said there's no cause for concern as long as his incision is fine(he has a little reddish discharge but she said as long as it's not green/yellow or smelly it's ok) and he's eating and drinking then he should be fine and she reduced his pain meds a little to see if that's what's making him act strange. I didn't know his temp was 102.8 at the time when I spoke to her. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee onetoday.

What medications is he on?

Are his gums nice and pink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tramadol, and gabapentin for pain. Clavanix for infection and odansetron for nausea. His gums are hard to tell because he's a black lab it's mostly blackish with a little pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as long as that bit of pink is the same as usual, then that is fine. If we had any worries (as mucous membrane color helps us monitor perfusion and blood levels, in case of internal bleeding), then you can flip Auggie's lower eyelid down to assess the shade of pink there.

That aside, in regards ***** ***** question, 102.8 isn't overly worrisome. If he was >103, then we'd be concerned about fever and possible Clavanix resistant infection or surgical site break down. But at 102.8, that is a borderline temperature that isn't necessarily clinically significant. So, we would monitor and check this every few hours, but again its not to a level where we'd be worried about a problem. Any elevation to 103 or more (or paling or severe redness of the gums, belly pain, or those incision signs your vet noted) and we'd want him reassessed by his vet urgently. But otherwise you do sound to be on the right treatment plan here and hopefully as he is weaned down on those pain meds we will seem him become a bit more mobile here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.