Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My 7 lb Maltese may have eaten a 5.25 mg coreg (carvedilol)

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** . My 7 lb Maltese may have eaten a 5.25 mg coreg (carvedilol) blood pressure medication.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She may have eaten the 6.25 coreg about a half hour ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily this medication is used in dogs. According to the veterinary formula

Carvedilol at an initial dose of 0.31 mg/kg (mean) PO twice daily and a target dose of 1.11 mg/kg (mean) PO twice daily is safe and well tolerated in dogs

So for your Maltese at 7 pounds (3.2 kg) this would be 1 mg- 3.5 mg twice daily

As you can see the 5.25 mg is almost double the advised dose for her size.

The clinical signs of toxicity included: lethargy (42%), bradycardia (21%), hypotension (8%), hypertension (8%) and tachycardia (8%)

With this possibility it would be best to induce vomiting if your dog ingested this within the last hour. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3/4 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If no vomiting then please monitor for the symptoms above and if seen overnight please consider a veterinary er tonight

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Luckily toxic doses in rats and mice are much much higher that two times the normal dose so very likely you will simply see lethargy or gi upset with the ingestion but always best to know what to monitor for if you are not able to induce vomiting

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your Maltese...I would love an update when you are able!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!