Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 50 lb dog ate 8oz of dark chocolate or less 1 hour ago.

Customer Question

My 50 lb dog ate 8oz of dark chocolate or less 1 hour ago. Should she go to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It would take ~17 ounces of dark chocolate for a 50lb dog to become seriously intoxicated by the theobromine in chocolate. If the dark chocolate were of the 70-80% cocoa variety, it would take less of the chocolate to intoxicate Sadie. Please let me know if that's the case. Theobromine is a xanthine derivative similar to caffeine which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient amounts.

Has Sadie vomited yet? If not it would be prudent to induce vomiting by dosing her with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed betwene her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.