How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28930
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 50 lb dog ate 8oz of dark chocolate or less 1 hour ago.

Customer Question

My 50 lb dog ate 8oz of dark chocolate or less 1 hour ago. Should she go to the vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It would take ~17 ounces of dark chocolate for a 50lb dog to become seriously intoxicated by the theobromine in chocolate. If the dark chocolate were of the 70-80% cocoa variety, it would take less of the chocolate to intoxicate Sadie. Please let me know if that's the case. Theobromine is a xanthine derivative similar to caffeine which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient amounts.

Has Sadie vomited yet? If not it would be prudent to induce vomiting by dosing her with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed betwene her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.