Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My name is, my dog is shaking and doesnt want to move or get

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** dog is shaking and doesnt want to move or get up. She eats a lot but doest want any water at all.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

IF this is a new problem for your dog, then this is concerning. There are many possible causes for trembling and unwillingness to move, but the top one is pain from somewhere. Our top areas for pain that cause trembling is neck or back pain. You may be able to check for this by running your hand down her back while she is at a sit or stand, gently pressing over each vertebral process. If she shirks away or cries out, then you found the painful spot. For the next you would have her in a seated position and then very slowly and gently elevate her head until her nose points at the ceiling. Then lower until nose points at the floor. Then move to the left and right. Again, if she reacts then you found the painful area. If you find spinal pain then I must recommend consider having her seen tonight on emergency. This is super painful and really needs good medication ASAP to reduce spinal swelling, get her relief from pain, and to prevent it from worsening.

There are many other areas that could lead to pain such as a joint or abdominal. Shaking can also come from other sources such as an electrolytes problem (especially potassium). Lab work can help determine if this is going on.

I am pleased to hear she is eating for you. We worry more about increased water consumption than decreased. It may also be that if her neck hurts she does not want to lower her head to the bowl to drink.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night i also gave her ibuprofen, 3 pills of 200. Managed to give her coconut water for electrolites, i also put the heater on and kept her warm. She stoped shaking and after like 3 hours she got up on her own but was wablely. As of now she has been eating and drinking well, the shaking stoped but seems very tired and sleepy. She also takes long and slow breaths. I read that human medicine might not be good for dogs but i was desperate and didnt want her in pain. Anything you suggest i can give her to get ride of the pain. Could it be arthritis? Should i keep giving her coconut water & keep her inside my home since its been cold outside lately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made her 5 scrambled eggs with 3 corn tortillas, she eat it all and have been feeding her that because its warm soft. And nutritious. Should i keep feeding her that or change her back into dog food?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I do not recommend ibuprofen. There is no safe dose in dogs and even 1 tablet can be toxic to some dogs. :( This means I am super concerned about her after administering 3. I must recommend you have her seen ASAP to have her kidney/liver values checked. There are no over the counter medications that will work that will not interact with what you gave; and in fact there are no safe over the counter products. This is something that will likely need a prescription medication.

I do not know if this is arthritis; it sounds more severe than arthritis, though.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. How is your girl doing today? Please let us know if you need more help.

~Dr. Sara