Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog ate a mussel shell

Customer Question

My dog ate a mussel shell
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me how long ago this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Happened on XMas day

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is your dog eating and drinking normally? Any vomiting? Have you been checking the stools to see if it has passed yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has been eating and drinking normally, no vomiting and I have been checking his stools for signs of the shell. There has been no signs of the shell to date.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
And is it possible he pooped outside without you seeing it?Most things pets eat will pass through their system in 24 hours. Sometimes foreign objects can get stuck in places and not pass. Most times if there is a foreign body in the intestinal tract we will see symptoms in a pet such as vomiting, decreased appetite, lethargy, and abdominal pain. It doesn't sound like your dog is showing these, but it does make me concerned that it has been 3 days and the shell hasn't shown up. Sometimes the foreign object doesn't cause a complete blockage, so things can still pass through around it, but it can cause problems down the road. Luckily a mussel shell should be easy to pick up on an x-ray, so if you can get your dog in for an x-ray they should be able to tell right away if it is still there (it is much harder with something like a piece of fabric). If you want to try something at home, I would consider feeding a few bulky meals today (such as whole grain bread or brown rice). If your dog doesn't pass the shell in the next 24 hours, and you are pretty sure he ate the shell, I would take him for an x-ray. Depending on where the mussel shell is, they may want to do different things. If it is still in the stomach, it may be removed with a scope, if it is in the colon, he may need an enema or stool softener, if it is in the small intestines, then surgery may be needed.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Just out of curiousity, Did your dog swallow the shell whole or chew it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He ate half a shell that fell on the floor. No sure if he swallowed it whole or chewed it. If it's like most things he eats, he swallowed it whole.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If it was chewed up it may be harder to spot in the stools. I would follow the information I provided in the response above. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I am about to run out for a little while but don't want to leave any questions unanswered that you might have- did you have any other questions for me this morning?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking to see how your dog is doing? Any sign of hte shell?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess checking on Kamaha to see if the mussel shell passed. Please let me know if you have any questions. If you do not, if you can please take a moment to click and RATE our conversation. This is the only way that I will get compensated for the time I spent helping to answer your question, so I would greatly appreciate the rating. Thank you and Happy New Year!