Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog can't even stand now and the only position that she

Customer Question

My dog can't even stand now and the only position that she can be in where she's not yelping is laying on her side. She's even yelping when she moves into the sitting position. It seems like it has something to do with the back half of her body but I can't tell what or where exactly. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does she seem tense or react when you press on her belly?

Any chance she ate a bone or something non-edible?

Any chance of a fall, slip, or injury?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think any of that has happened. However, I gave her baby asprin and it has not helped. She can't even adjust without yelping now. She is a bigger dog and runs up and down stairs and she also has a fenced in backyard that she runs a lot because of neighboring dogs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I have to say that I am very worried about her.

The level of pain you are reporting just is a major red flag here. As it is towards the back half of her body, we'd hopefully be able to rule out pancreatitis and gut twists. As well, if foreign bodies can be ruled out, then we'd again be thinking about injury, possible spinal arthritis (if she isn't young), or even slipped disc.

Now aspirin is only a mild pain relief (and needs to be used with care if we have possible gut issues or a possible bleed anywhere) and we'd not expect it to make much difference with a dog in as much pain as you have noted. In this case, we really need your lass to her vet urgently or them out for a home visit to her. We need her on strong injectable pain relief to get her comfortable so that they can then pinpoint which issue is present. And I would note that if you think she looks to be sore in her back at all or is struggling with her back legs at all; then a disc is a worry and that is an emergency situation for them (as they can progress to paralysis in some dogs).

With all this in mind, this is unfortunately not sounding like a situation you can manage at home. So, we'd really want to take the above steps to address her pain and make sure we give her the best chance of recovering from this.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I am worried about as well. I'm trying to give it a couple more hours until her vet opens and I am going to get her in there. We've been able to mostly keep her from moving around so she's been calmer. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I can appreciate that. So, do just keep her calm, keep everything quiet/dimly lit, and see if she can settle. As well, you could even plan to have her there as soon as they open. The vet usually isn't first in but the nurse should be able to ring them to at least get permission to give her pain relief while you wait for them.

Please take care,

Dr. B.