How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12456
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks so much -- we re traveling holidays but I will

Customer Question

Thanks so much -- we re traveling for the holidays but I will call my vet tomorrow and let them know what is going on.
Another quick question... I am in shock right now... I took a nap and just woke up to my other Yorkie eating a bag of Hershey's kisses... Looks like she had about 10 of them. Her name is ***** ***** is 11 years old and weighs 5lbs. I have been super sick with this flu bug going around... And it has turned out to be a hard week of travel for me and the pups... Ugh... Thanks so much for any advice you might have.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!You are having a tough week!If you are able to induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1/2 teaspoon then giggle her belly we should remove it from her system if at all possible. This can be repeated once in 10-15 minutes if no vomitingI will work on the amount of chocolate ingested. I assume these were the milk chocolate variety?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
A hershey's kiss is 0.16 ounces x 10 kisses = 1.6 ounces which can result in moderate to severe symptoms of chocolate toxicity. I would strongly urge inducing vomiting or finding a veterinary er in your area to give medication to induce vomiting and hopefully remove it from her system Your dog is in danger of the following symptoms:VomitingTremors in musclesAbnormal heart rhythmsElevated heart rateHyperthermiaIf she has any history of heart issues then a veterinary er is warranted in this situation. I am so sorry but I want to ensure we are extra careful with her and her size and age... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you​​
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and your little one after the chocolate last night. Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able... If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!