Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 4 year old yorkie. he has been neutered. he has 2

Customer Question
lumps one on the middle...
I have a 4 year old yorkie. he has been neutered. he has 2 lumps one on the middle of his lower back and a smaller one on the back of his neck. both continue to fill with a white thicker material. they can be excreated but fill right back up.one is about the size of a thumb nail the other much smaller. the same white thick material excreates from both much like you would see if you squeezed a pimpel. how should they be treated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your yorkie's lumps. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

I am here

Glad you're there. Typing in your answer now...

While I cannot make a diagnosis online, you've given a very good description that fits exactly with the appearance of a sebaceous cyst. These harmless lumps in the skin accumulate pasty oil. They tend to only cause problems when they are infected.

We usually treat them by leaving them alone. If problematic (constantly breaking open or getting infected), they can be surgically removed.

They're very common, though... and almost never require treatment.
Let me see if I can find you some information on them.

This article contains accurate information about sebaceous cysts in pets. Perhaps it will help you determine if you think that is likely the case in your dog's situation.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/cysts/249

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Thank you, ***** ***** let you know if I need any further help once I have read the information you have sent me.

Sounds very good. I'm here to help.

Please understand your positive rating is important to me so I can receive credit for helping you, and that you may return to this page after reading the article to post additional questions even after rating my answer for tonight.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon. Meanwhile, I'll be hopeful that these really do turn out to be sebaceous cysts and are of no concern to your dog's future health.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian