How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ola Barrett Your Own Question
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 271
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Ola Barrett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 Pound dog had half a cup of abuelita mexican hot

Customer Question

My 15 Pound dog had half a cup of abuelita mexican hot chocolate with soy milk while I wasnt looking. Pup is 8 months old and is healthy. Do i need to take him to the vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What signs should i look for that he is sick?
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB.. If it has been less than 1 hour since ingesting the chocolate you can induce vomiting to empty his stomach content. Give him 1-2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth..this can be repeat once if no vomiting occurs within 15 minutes or so. If it has been longer than 1 hour then he has started to absorb the chocolate so you will probably have to take him to an emergency hospital.

Signs of chocolate toxicity are worse for darker chocolate and baking chocolate than milk chocolate..white chocolate has no risk. Signs are panting, agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, heart palpations and arrhythmias and neurological signs such as seizures.

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if Porter is feeling better? If you have other questions, let me know. If my advice helped you, please take a moment to give my response a positive rating? This insures that I receive compensation for my time and expertise..