Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My Beagle is acting lethargic. Her ears are cold when they

Customer Question

My Beagle is acting lethargic. Her ears are cold when they are normally warm. We gave her pizza crust yesterday.Is it possible she is clogged up and if so is there anything we can give her to help unclog her. She is also walking around with her head down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

The cold ears is not likely reflective of any internal issue. That could be more related to changes in the temperature in the room and/or outside. Extremities will tend to get a bit colder first. Also, the ingestion of the crust would have no impact on the ears.

However, the crust could cause stomach upset. If she was vomiting, had bad diarrhea, or was refusing to eat, than I would suspect nausea from the crust. I would not suspect obstruction if not vomiting, exhibiting a tender/painful belly, or bad diarrhea.

So, right now, I would say it is completely unknown what are underlying ailment could be.

Therefore, close observation is necessary for several hours, and if for any reason her condition persists or gets worse, you'll know a vet visit is well worth it.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Do not give anything to "unclog" her. You don't know the crust is causing any issue at all, and if it were causing an obstruction her symptoms would be different. Giving some type of laxative to "unclog" her is going to cause massive distress.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?