Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** ***** Can i give my dog amoxicillin in

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** Can i give my dog amoxicillin in stead of clavamox he weighs 13 pounds and is 13 years old he get these sores in his mouth that really smell
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am from Canada and the dog was prescribed clavamox at one time but we had to visit a ver here and the charges were really high so I am wondering if I can just give him amoxicillin which I have
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly see how amoxicillin dosed at 5 mg/lb twice daily affects your dog. Clavamox is amoxicillin + clavulanic acid which protects Clavamox from beta-lactamase producing bacteria. In essence, Clavamox is expected to treat more types of bacteria than straight amoxicillin.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?