Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a mini Roxie X she is 5 yrs when she was a pup we

Customer Question

We have a mini Roxie X she is 5 yrs when she was a pup we tried taking her in the car short distances but she gets very car sick starts this yawning thing then is sick it's not nice for her but we want to be able to take her places as she looks sad when we go and leave her we have persisted on up to 15 min journeys can you help with suggestions. She is a nervous and timid very sensitive wee girl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Poppy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is Poppy on any medication right now? Does she vomit multiple times when on a trip or just once?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe once or twice only saliva type and on no medication
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is generally a nervy type girl very humble and dedicated to simple routines loves am pm walks but wants to go out in car but freaks and starts yawning and reaching and not full good vomit but more saliva style vomit

Okay thanks for the additional information. Sorry to hear about Poppy getting car sick frequently. Fortunately there is a medication that your veterinarian can prescribe that can help with car sickness. That medication is called Cerenia. It is a pill that you can give ~ 1/2 hour prior to a long car trip and it helps with nausea and vomiting for at least 24 hours after giving a dose. I have had great sucess with this drug when prescribed for motion sickness

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it make poppy dopey or aggressive and what about short trips do we put her in a carry cage that she does t see 360 like on my knee and cage only just straight in front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is credentials available in Australia as you are offshore vet ??? And can you get it over the counter without more costs of seeing a vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is pills available in Australia sorry about sp mistakes

The good thing about this drug is it does not make dogs dopey or aggressive since it only works on eliminating nausea. Sorry I am not sure about the drugs availability in Australia since I live in the United States. That is something you would have to check with your veterinarian to determine. Another name for the drug is called Maropitant so you may be able to research it as well.