Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been bitten by something on s paw. There is a

Customer Question
My dog has been bitten...
My dog has been bitten by something on his paw. There is a small white lump and it's very sore to touch. He is not acting himself and seems very upset and sore.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Billy. I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. Is the paw swollen?

2. How long has it looked as you describe?

3. Can you take his temperature?

4. Do you think you could send me a picture of his foot? This link ( http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert) walks you through the process.

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the pictures.

I suppose this could be a spider bite but it doesn't look like I'd expect if that were the case although you may have some nasty critters in New Zealand that I don't typically see in the States. It's also possible that he stepped on something and that he has a small abscess or infection which is present....or even inflammation.

Regardless, the following is what I'd suggest that you do:

1. Soak the foot for about 10 minutes or so in a warm Epsom salt bath several times a day.

2. Try to prevent him from licking at it if he starts since he may just make it worse. He may need to wear a cone although I know he won't thank me for the suggestion.

3. As long as he's not vomiting nor currently taking any steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, Aspirin can be given which can help with inflammation and pain. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

4. On the off chance that this might be a bite or sting of some sort, then Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can be given although sedation may be seen as a side effect. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

If the area continues to be swollen and/or bothers him, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Hi Amanda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Billy. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Billy. How is his foot? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian