Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog has been sick of the day. As far as I am aware he

Customer Question

My dog has been sick for most of the day. As far as I am aware he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't (no chocolate or forbidden foods are anywhere near the dogs) ... He has also been refusing water and hasn't gone to the toilet. We have been trying to keep him hydrated with a syringe with water every hour. His gums are rather pale and he is extremely lethargic. He is also shaking - he isn't one prone to shaking. I am going to take him to the vet when they open in the morning - but is there any advice you can give or should we be more concerned? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Zulu is not feeling well, pale gums are a very large concern which can indicate several things such as trauma, bleeding into the abdomen or chest, reduced production of red cells, increased destruction of red cells (immune mediated or viral). The concern with the pale gums is that he is going to go into shock without being able to oxygenate his organs and would strongly advise finding a veterinary er in your area and not wait until morning if you are able

Here is more information about the pale gums:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/anemia-in-dogs/431

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today...you are both in my thoughts

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

​I am relieved to see you were able to view my responses, is there anything else I can assist with or clarify today?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 30 minutes tonight so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I am curious if Zulu was able to recover from the events last week or if you had to go into your vet soonafter asking your question last week? I would love an update when you are able...
​If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!