Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2yr old boxer that just developed this pink looking

Customer Question

I have a 2yr old white boxer that just developed this pink looking mole on his ear and he goes to a puppy daycare twice a week for playing amd the owner said it could be a wart to watch it. I believe that he played on Wed and got scratched which formed scab and then has cut on edge of ear. But I am morw concerned on pink mole
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo of this "pink looking mole" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the picture

Thank you! This is most consistent with a cutaneous histiocytoma - a fast growing, benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (wonderful cocktail party talk...). These are common in young dogs and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae (flaps), and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously. These aren't contagious to other dogs nor to you.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I put anythomg on it while I watch it like Vitamin E capsule or Castor Oil or something else to see if it helps

Over the counter hydrocortisone cream applied thrice daily has hastened resolution of these histiocytomas. This one looks like it has already reached as big as it's going to get. It should slowly crumble away over the next 12 weeks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?