Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can arthritis in my dogs rear legs cause m pain at night. He

Customer Question

Can arthritis in my dogs rear legs cause him pain at night. He sleeps alot during the day and when he wakes wants to go outside for literally 30 seconds then turns around and comes in. At night he takes him while to sleep and he walks around the house and does the same routine going outside. He even goes outside for long times and comes back in and poops in the house. He 16 and a Gordon setter mix. I've tried all kinds of anti inflammation meds and I dont Want a zombie dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, arthritis can certainly cause pain in the night and reduce activity in the day. That said, if he seems disoriented, confused, and restless at night this can also be a sign of elevated blood pressure (which can arise on its own or be secondary to heart or kidney disease).

In any case, in regards ***** ***** and ruling out any discomfort behind his signs, there are some options you can consider. If you have found even half doses of the anti-inflammatories is sedating him (though we do see short term sleepiness with dogs that are finally comfortable enough on the drug to get some nice sleep), then you could try a milder OTC joint supplement. Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad. As well, Duralactin (More Info HERE) would be another good supplement to try.

Finally, since we can see joint pain worsen during chilly seasons (for people and dogs both), do make sure that he has access to somewhere warm or a heating pad. This way he can soothe those joints and relax his muscles with warmth over the chilly winter. And if any limb appears to bother him more at any time, you can consider warm compressing the region. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, his signs are suggestive of underlying arthritis getting him down at this age. That said, night behavior can also be related to blood pressure issues. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have his blood pressure checked and then try the above to see if we can soothe his joints his joints and get him comfortable for you.
All the best and happy holidays ,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. I'm just worried, he is a big dog at 61 lbs. And going outside for no apparent reason is bother some. He will do this every 5 to 10 minutes for hours at a time. I've got some tough decisions to make, he has been my buddy for a looooong time. Thanks you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

It is a concern at his age and these situation are difficult. Still, again if he doesn't seem to have a reason for the behaviour, it is worth checking blood pressure and trying milder joint supports to see if we can get him comfortable and settled before we make any decisions.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. I'm taking the day to go over all his meds, just sucks watching him trip over himself and have trouble laying down and standing up. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I know that it won't be nice to watch him struggle, so do have a check of what he is on and the above to see if we can help get him moving more comfortably.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)