Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has had seizures past seven years although most part

Customer Question

My dog has had seizures for the past seven years although for the most part they have been controlled via potassium bromide and phenobarbitol. She has just experienced a seizure this evening and seems to be having a hard time settling down. Her breathing is rapid and open mouth. She has never gone on this long recovering from her seizures. This is probably the first seizure in the past year. Its Christmas eve and I am reluctant to run her in to the emerg. We have another drug to help calm our older dog. It is called Clomicalm. We also have Gabapentin for our older dog. Are either or both of these compatible with the Potassium bromide which she had this evening - 1000 mg. I am very concerned but am anxious to stress her further to transport her to the emergency vet. Please advise as quickly as possible.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Clomipramine (Clomicalm) isn't an anticonvulsive and caution is needed when given to patients with seizure disorders. Gabapentin, however, can be administered concomitant with other anticonvulsives and may synergize with them to provide better anticonvulsive activity. Studies were done in dogs with uncontrolled seizures (at least 2 per moth and at least 6 over the prior 3 months) when phenobarbital and potassium bromide levels were therapeutic or non-therapeutic but had unacceptable side effects: Dogs were dosed at approximately 10 mg/lb (4.6 mg/kg) daily for 3 months. Six of eleven dogs had a minimum of 50% reduction in seizures per week.