Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Dog is scared of noise, scared to pee, scared to poop,

Customer Question

Dog is scared of noise, scared to pee, scared to poop, scared of shadows, scared of rain. won't walk with me, near strangles to get back inside. Was in a shelter for 6 months, I was told she never soiled her 4X4 cell. I have a 45X16, covered concrete area and a 30X18 yard, the dog only goes inside. Outside she cowls down and shakes for hours while I sit with her. I cannot leave her outside as I live in an area where we have red ants. She has never taken a treat from me. Will go for days without eating, tried 7 different foods, dry and wet, that's 14 foods! PetSmart says they cannot help her, she has PTSD. Please help me to help her, please!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about your dog.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time with her. I want you to know help is available, and I can help to point you in the right direction.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your situation with your dog. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time with your girl. You are an angel for her - I hope that you know that.

Having come from a shelter situation at a later age, there's just no way to know what she went through as a pup. It didn't necessarily have to be an abusive situation, though. Dogs who are not well socialized can be very much more prone to fears and anxieties. Their brains are open to new experiences during their neonatal period, but once that socialization window of time closes, they will be naturally wary of anything that they've not yet experienced. Truly, if you've tried a private trainer (not just the class at PetSmart) and multiple vets have confirmed that she is healthy, then I would consider discussing anti-anxiety medications with your vet. With signs as severe as your'e describing, it's very likely that she's going to need some medicinal help to allow her to be more receptive to the training that you're trying to do. Anti-anxiety medications can do a world of good for a pup who needs to start building some positive associations in their life. It doesn't have to be forever, just enough to get her unstuck and moving forward. Please let me know what other questions and concerns I can handle for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)