Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We accidently gave our min schnauzer s evening dose of

Customer Question
We accidently gave our min...
We accidently gave our min schnauzer his evening dose of vetmedin twice. What should we look for as an emergency situation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I suspect with one double dose that he will have no ill effects

The veterinary formula lists:

There were 467 single agent exposures to pimobendan reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 427 dogs, 111 were symptomatic with tachycardia- increased heart rate (48%), vomiting (24%), hypertension-increased blood pressure (12%), lethargy (12%) and hypotension- low blood pressure (9%) being the most common clinical signs. Of the 41 cats, only 6 were symptomatic with 33% vomiting.

The normal dose of this medication is 0.5 mg/kg total daily dose and clinical signs of toxicity were seen at 2.6 – 21.3 mg/kg. So if you gave 1 mg/kg today that is still below the toxic dose for his size

I suspect you will see no ill effects from this ingestion but if you do notice that he is lethargic or hyper excited, restless, vomiting then please consider seeking emergency care but again I do not expect you to see these issues

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thx so much. Our vet agreed with your opinion. I hope we dont repeat this mistake or need your services again

I hope not as well but glad you were able to touch base with your vet to ensure that we agreed and I am sure that gives piece of mind :)

If you wouldn't mind rating our conversation on the top of your page so I maybe compensated for my time I would be very grateful. Thank you!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Carolyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Carolyn Hudson. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in one last time on you and your Schnauzer today to see if you had any issues with the double dose last week? I would love an update when you are able
​If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian