How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20627
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog appears to have sprained s right nd leg at the thigh

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** dog appears to have sprained his right hind leg at the thigh and is whimpering, won't eat. The vet is closed here in Angola. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he put any weight on his hind leg?

Any swelling, areas of instability, boney crunching or pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He appears to put some weight on it intermitently now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is some pain around the hip area when i tried to locate area in pain, some slight swelling and warmth.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That is positive to hear that he can bear some weight on this leg now. That would make concerns of nerve/spinal damage, dislocation, and fractures less likely. Still, to hear that we have swelling and warmth still does raise concerns of a severe strain or possible infection in the hip joint. And with that latter concern, I do have to note that we'd really want to consider having Woody seen by his local vet. This is because while we can compress, treat with nutrient supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oil, duralactin, etc), and/or use a low dose of buffered Aspirin; we don't want to leave any risk of infection to linger. Therefore, we'd want his vet to assess this, start strong dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) +/- antibiotics. That way we can cover all our concerns and get this settled for Woody as quickly as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much, this is a good start. I'll book an appointment with the vet here asap, instead of waiting till we get back to the UK. I'll give him metacalm in the meantime. Thanks Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do think sounds like an ideal plan of action to just get this settled as quickly as we can for him.

Take care,

Dr. B