Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 10 yr old dog started bleeding from s mouth. I took m to

Customer Question

My 10 yr old dog started bleeding from his mouth. I took him to the vet on Monday, brought stool sample & sample of what the blood looked like. A blood test was done, & he was sedated to get a better look at his mouth & throat. Blood tests were fine, & there was no blood in his stool. Vet said he has a small puncture wound on the roof of his mouth, & he could see that it was starting to heal. Yesterday, he was laying on his left side and some blood started coming out. My husband saw some pooled blood in his left jaw when he was standing up the other day. Could this be tooth related? It doesn't happen daily, however only when laying on his left side.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His behavior is normal, eating, playing.
Expert:  Dr:D replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I am DrD

I will try to answer your quetion as much as I can ,

Since your veterinarian looked at his mouth under sedation I assume he would have told you that your dog has a gum/periodontal disease or not .Yes you are correct. Gum and Periodontal tissues around the tooth may get infected and may bleed.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=163

As I said your vet should have noticed that easily and offer you a treatment plan. Again , oral tumors small and large also cause bleeding from the mouth as well as the puncture wounds as you said your dog has at his hard palate. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=130

Malocclusion is another problemmay cause oral bleeding .

Malocclusion refers to an abnormal tooth alignment. Over bite (parrot mouth, over shot, class two, over jet, mandibular brachygnathism) occurs when the lower jaw is shorter than the upper. There may be a gap between the upper and lower incisors when the mouth is closed. The upper premolars are displaced at least 25% toward the front compared to the lower premolars. An over bite malocclusion is not considered normal in any breed and is a genetic fault. The most commonly affected breeds are those with elongated muzzles (Collies, Shelties, Dachshunds, and Russian Wolfhounds).

An under bite (under shot, reverse scissors bite, prognathism, class III) occurs when the lower teeth protrude in front of the upper jaw teeth. Some short-muzzled breeds (Boxers, English Bull Dogs, Shih-Tzus, and Lhasa Apsos) normally have an under bite, but it is abnormal when it occurs in medium-muzzled breeds. When the upper and lower incisor teeth meet each other edge to edge, the occlusion is considered an even or level bite. Constant contact between upper and lower incisors can cause uneven wear, periodontal disease, and early tooth loss. Level bite is considered normal in some breeds, although it is actually an expression of under bite.

Your best bet would be taking him in for a recheck.Please take your dog to the emergency room If the bleeding does not stop.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using JA.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know that you helped me with this matter. My dog has all his teeth & I think my veterinarian would have discussed a Malocclusion with me years ago. My vet told me that the bright red blood is oftentimes seen when there is a problem with the mouth or throat. There was a small clot mixed in with the blood. He went 3 days without any bleeding.
Expert:  Dr:D replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that I did not address your question.What exactly did you want to know ? What else do you want me to do for your dog ? Thank you

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara. How is Bogie doing? I'd have concerns too that this might be an oral tumor based on his age and your description of the history. The only way to know what that lesion is in the roof of his mouth would be to get a biopsy sample. Hopefully it's just a wound which would heal on its own (your guess is as good as mine where it came from), but the flip side is that it could be an early squamous cell carcinoma, which often can look like wounds initially. Please let me know if I can provide any further information based on new changes in his condition.

~Dr. Sara