Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My yorkie is jerking every 10 seconds or so and she can't

Customer Question

my yorkie is jerking every 10 seconds or so and she can't rest. She keeps coming to me like she is asking for help. she did the same thing about 3 months ago and it was at night but she was ok the next day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Precious is experiencing this. My top concern is this may be a partial seizure (petit mal) event. If so, then at home there is not much you can do other than comfort her. Seizures can be due to many different things such as epilepsy, pri***** *****ver issues (especially protosystemic shunt in this breed) or a low blood sugar problem.

Another possibility is if her jerking involves one particular hind limb she could have severe patellar luxation and is having a tough time getting the knee cap to pop back into the joint. If this is truly the problem, then it is time to discuss surgical fixation with your veterinarian. Another possible cause is if she is experiencing a transient electrolyte issues or shoot back/neck pain.

For the longer term the is something you are going to need to work through with your veterinarian. This will require an exam followed by some laboratory testing to know the exact cause. I regret I cannot specifically diagnose this for you online, but it really will require a look and some testing to narrow down the reason and then get her some therapy.

Indications this is an emergency and you should have her seen now rather than comforting her and waiting would be if she is quite bothered by this, possibly painful or she has a true grand mal seizure (full body limb trembling) or collapse.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.