Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I give my pit to get her appetite again? She hasn't

Customer Question

What can I give my pit bull to get her appetite again? She hasn't really eating much the last two days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she had any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Is she drinking? Can she keep water down?

Any change to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries....she will if vomit she eat to much. She is drinking and keeping it down. The is breathing somewhat heavy. Her gums are pale/white and moist. Ther is no discomfort tenderness or tensing. I don't think she's eaten of the above. No diarrhea as matter of fact she hasn't had a bowel movement in three days.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Her lack of feces isn't a surprise if she hasn't been able to eat for 2 days. Just further to what you have told me:

Do you think her gums are paler then usual for her?

Do you think she is breathing >30 breaths per minute?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are. Yes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am very sorry to hear that that is the case. If her gums are pale/white and she is breathing faster then a normal resting rate for a dog, I am very concerned that her lack of appetite isn't just due to GI upset. Instead, I'd be concerned that she cannot spare a breath to eat for us.

In regards ***** ***** for this, we'd be worried about an underlying heart issue, lung issue (ie pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, cancer, etc), or possible anemia (low blood volume due to internal bleeding, immune damage to the red blood cells, etc).

In this case, while we could use antacids like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) to settle her stomach. And light diets like rice with boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, boiled white fish, or cottage cheese to combat her vomiting; I'd be concerned that this won't be enough since we have these other issues.

Therefore, in this case with those gums and breathing, we'd really want to have her seen urgently. If she is struggling, she may need to be put on oxygen but otherwise we need her vet to listen to her heart/lungs +/- xray to pinpoint which issue is causing this for her. And the sooner we do that, the sooner we can start treating to help her recovery from this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)