Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****, I have a 9 year old siberian husky

Customer Question
Customer: Hi my name is...
Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****, I have a 9 year old siberian husky that is 140lbs. The last 24 hours he has been laying on the floor in pain with some issues with his rear legs getting up. Once he is up he is fine, able to walk up and downstairs and utilize the bathroom outdoors with no issues. However I noticed he is having trouble leaning all the way down to the floor to get a drink or eat, so I have raised the bowls today and got him plenty of water and food.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is just laying on the floor crying in agony
12/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. If he's as painful as you've described, a visit to a 24-hour facility should be considered. His problems rising from a prone position and difficulty lowering his head suggests myelopathy - spinal cord disorder such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") most likely in his cervical (neck) spine. A thorough physical exam paying particular attention to his spine should reveal hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) when palpated (felt) and his neck flexed or extended. In most cases, conservative care in the form of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam +/- a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol +/- a skeletal muscle relaxant such as diazepam or methocarbamol is prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian