Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We think our lasa apsa got 2 small coclate chip cookies

Customer Question
meant for Santa. what should...
we think our lasa apsa got 2 small coclate chip cookies meant for Santa. what should we do? how do we monitor him??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that your pup Cinnamon just ate two small chocolate chip cookies.

Chocolate can be toxic for dogs but they need to eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick, and milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate.

A 10 pound pup would need to eat 1.4 ounces of milk chocolate, 0.6 ounces of dark chocolate and 0.6 ounces of semi sweet to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and twice those amounts to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate. At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

For measurement sake a candy bar is about 2 ounces. There is unlikely to be enough chocolate chips in two cookies for Cinnamon to get sick. I think your girl will be fine, unless she is much smaller than I am estimating.

In most cases of mild chocolate toxicity the toxins are out of their system in 24 to 48 hours.

We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours, rarely it takes about 12 hours.

Just in case I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible for the next 12 hours and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.

If she gets nauseous it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.

If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.

I sincerely ***** ***** you are going to see any symptoms. I suspect that she didn't ingest enough to cause toxicity. I just wanted to give you things to watch for and what to do should you see any symptoms.

Best of luck with Cinnamon, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian