Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog, a 12 year old Dachshund, was fine when he got up

Customer Question
but then cried when we...
Our dog, a 12 year old Dachshund, was fine when he got up but then cried when we picked him up and is wobbling, not walking like he normally does. We are not sure what we can do on this holiday weekend.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: William Withers,
 replied 2 years ago
William Withers

Hi - I'm Dr. Tim and I'm a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years of clinical experience with dogs and cats. I'd be glad to provide you some answers and am typing a longer response in the next few minutes.

Dog Veterinarian: William Withers,
 replied 2 years ago

If he is having difficulty walking, he has probably injured one of the discs in his back and this is a medical emergency. As I am sure you know, dachshund's like Moose are very prone to back problems. If a disc has partially or totally ruptured and he is not seen immediately by a veterinarian, he could end up being totally paralyzed and unable to use his back legs, unable to urinate or defecate on his own.

My advice is definitely to seek immediate medical attention for him -- every passing hour could make a difference as to whether he has a good or a bad outcome. In some cases, rapid medical intervention can prevent the bad outcomes and in other cases, surgery is needed to prevent the worse case scenarios. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

He has had a similar problem one other time and was better with rest. Is there any test we can do to determine if he definitely needs to be seen tonight? Our emergency vet clinic has rarely been helpful - you pay $500 to be told to see your vet on Monday. I don't mind spending the money if he needs it, just question if they will do anything for him.
Dog Veterinarian: William Withers,
 replied 2 years ago

I go back to the fact you said he is wobbly and not walking properly. Once the pressure from a slipped disc (and you are describing all the signs of this problem) progresses that far, he is in the "danger zone" and it could really go either way. I would say better to be safe than sorry and at least get a consultation about whether he needs to be started on steroid medication (and stomach protectants to prevent damage to his stomach from the high doses of steroids needed for a slipped disc). So to answer your question directly, I'd say yes it is definitely worth getting him evaluated ASAP.

Dog Veterinarian: William Withers,
 replied 2 years ago

I hope this helps and is a satisfactory answer. Please remember to rate my response with 3 to 5 stars since that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. Good luck with your little Moose -- I'm really worried about him -- and please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best for you. Take care.

Thank you.
I'm clicking on the stars but not working - probably my browser. I appreciate your help.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian